Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Adrian, Haruki & Jaime together at last

I actually read New York magazine faithfully, and The New Yorker only occasionally (maybe not enough pictures?), but what's not to love about the current issue of the Yorker with yet another plaintively beautiful Adrian Tomine cover.

This "Summer Fiction Issue" (I guess that means I'll have to read it at the beach) features a short story by one of my favorite prose writers, Haruki Murakami, and the story is illustrated (albeit sparsely) by perhaps my favorite cartoonist of all time, Jaime Hernandez. Of course since Jaime is the consummate cartoonist his illustrations tend to be rather toothless when not tied to his storytelling and his own characters (which in a way is as it should be).

There's even a small single-panel comic in the back featuring a classic Jack Kirby monster.

No comments: